Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Stuck in the Middle With You

One morning, my mom, my daughter and I went out for a Girls Breakfast.  We were just chatting about the usual stuff when I got a message that my best friend -- who was pregnant at the same time as me and due that day -- had just given birth. Yay! So fun!

So my mom asked about the name. "Oh, they named her after his grandma. So her middle name is his mom's maiden name and her first daughter's middle name is her mom's maiden name."

"I think that's so stupid that people do that."

"Wait. Do what now?"

"Use a maiden name as a middle name."

Here is where I had to pause. Sometimes when you talk to my mom, you get the feeling that *you're* crazy, but then you realize that, no, she is.

"What are you talking about? I just gave my son a middle name based on his dad's grandma's maiden name. And I told you all of that when he was born [2 weeks prior]!"

She became totally flustered (but, I mean, seriously?!). "No that's a regular name."

"Crane is a regular name? Who has the name Crane besides a bird?"


And then she waved it off and I was still so stunned that we just stopped talking about it and moved on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment