Tuesday, November 18, 2014

"Hide the Jelly and Break out the Rubber Sheets! SJS Is Coming to Town!"

That quote is from my husband once he found out my mom was coming to stay w/ us for 2+ weeks. More on what it means in a second.

See, I was pregnant w/ our 2nd kid and my mom said she wanted to be here to help us with our 3 year old during the birth. "Great!" I thought. And then she immediately booked her flight.

"When is he coming?"
"Well, I don't know. The due date is in November, but you know, the first one came early so this one probably will too. I'll know more once we start internal exams at week 37."

That, however, was apparently not good enough info and she booked her ticket somewhere in the 7th month to be here on the due date.

I reiterated that she was probably going to miss the whole show and that we'd need a back up plan. She responded, "I'm sure he'll wait for his grandma to arrive!"

My son arrived 2 weeks early.

Anyway, she came out 2 days before his due date -- and 2 weeks after he was born.

My husband is a wonderful man who has come to enjoy/tolerate her quirks over the years. One of them is that she loves jelly. She eats a lot of it. She'll go through jars of it.

The other is that she once told him she doesn't wear underwear to bed ("Everyone should air out at night!"). Not info he wanted while she slept on our couch.  Hence the quote.

The next few posts will be dedicated to her time here. There are many more stories, but I have a newborn so these few posts will have to suffice for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment